Saturday, August 13, 2005

WE LOVE EACH OTHER - The Guardian Magazine 13/08/05

Reprinted with no permission from The Guardian Weekend Suppliment 13/08/05

we love each other 130805
THE WEEKEND MAGAZINE: Shades of Night Porter me thinks...


Hsien Chew & Simon Wilkinson


Hsien He was at a party held by friend of a friend of a friend. The first thing I noticed about him was how he pronounced pain au raisin; he put far too much emphasis on raisin. Therefore, I told him how it should be pronounced. He shot me a vicious look with those beautiful blue eyes, I thought he was about to strike me and then I recognised him. I would have put his mispronunciation down to a state school education, but it turned out we went to the same public school. I was victimised horribly when I was there. Sadly, this continued when I attended Cambridge.

Simon He has this little horse like laugh, which I find adorable. Sometimes when we go on a Sunday hunt together I hear him laughing aloud and I remark that I can never tell whether it came from him or his steed, and then he laughs some more. We still talk about our time at school together; they were after all, formative years. For me they were the happiest of times, particularly when I recall abusing him with a poker before prep in our dorm room. As I say, happy times. Craig Taylor

7 comments:

thordora said...

wow. I really didn't need the mental image of the poker right before I dig into tasty ramen noodles.....

you need a vacation my dear...

garfer said...

Public schoolboys...ughh.
What with their wanking clubs and lusts for little Lord Fauntelroys, it's a wonder any of them grow up to become chief execs of merchant banks.
From short trousers to pinstripes and a penchant for spanking.
Tosspots.

Karen said...

Heh heh. With regards to the person you're boffing, sounding like a horse is a lot better than LOOKING like a horse.

As for the many assholes who were mean to me during my school years, I'd be more likely to open them a new hole in their head than date them.

Nobody Special said...

Mispronunciation?? Sounds like undiagnosed stephacockaliticus to me!

Faltanus said...

GREAT post! i LOVE the fact that this guardian column is equal opportunity. it doesn't discriminate against same-sex couples that are smug, self-promoting, self-congratulatory assholes.

Herge Smith said...

Oh yes Faltanus - I will mock everyone, I am very fair like that.

Rowan said...

Well, it's just one of your many virtues hergey.